It’s been a while since I’ve posted (which is exactly what I promised, so hey, score for me). Here’s some going-ons!
1. 3.5 D&D – This is the largest group I play in. We had our two-night session a couple of weekends ago, and…it went swimmingly. We all had dinner together with the kids both nights. The first night, our DM wasn’t up for DMing (his dog had died that morning), so after dinner he took our dog on a walk while J got the kids in the tub and the rest of us came up with a BACK-UP PLAN. We did part of a one-shot and are saving it for a back-up should we ever need one again. The second night was much the same. Dinner with the kids, set-up during bath time, and then solid play. It was such a success that our next meet-up in a couple of weeks is going to be much the same. We’ve finished our downtime in Shackled City (post Umberhulk) and shall be heading out to save a dwarf from the terrors of the Underdark when we next meet again.
2. 5e D&D (J’s game) – We’re wrapping up the first chapter this evening. It’s been a fun campaign. T & I are the two whose character’s are on the up-and-up. Meta, I know that two characters are “up to something”, but I’m having fun with my character not knowing. I’m excited to get to the next chapter!
3. 5e D&D Curse of Strahd – My players are currently in the Amber Temple and we paused last night after they nearly got TPK’d by Neferon. Everyone but the NPC Vilnius made their saves, so at least there’s that. They’re going to take a long rest…as is Neferon. Hopefully he doesn’t roll so dang high against them next week.
4. Knitting – J’s blanket – J’s blanket is making progress! I’m currently knitting the 20th row. Only 8 rows to go after that! I managed to have the head finished when I gave it to him, and he recognized the character as Reaper immediately, so I count that as a success.
5. Knitting – A small project! After giving J his partially-completed blanket, I took a break and knit up some dice bags. I also forgot to take pictures of some of the dice bags. Pictured are the ones I was able to photograph. There’s also a purple one, another bright blue, and another denim blue that I made. They were for everyone in the 3.5 group + a player in my 5e group (so everyone in all groups got one bag each). I used Chris Ann Jacob’s Ravelry Pattern, going up to 18 stitches per needle, knitting 8 rounds, and then decreasing to 12 stitches per needle, knitting for another 8 rounds, and then following the pattern as-is from the drawstring holes-forward.
6. Family – We got to see J’s sister (A) and her husband (S) this weekend. The kids were thrilled, and so were we. They’re great people, and I’m so glad to have them in my life. They played with the kids pretty much as long as the kids were up. They had bought gifts for the kids and then forgotten them when they went on the trip with S’s family. S had the person watching their cats mail them down here. When we went to check the mail during the kids’ nap time, the postcard from my sister (K) and her husband (B) had also arrived. We did postcard first, with A asking the kids what they saw on the picture and me reading the message. Then we waited a bit and gave the kids their surprise from A & S. Little Dude has his first board game (which we have played about eleventy bajillion times since), and Little Miss has a unicorn costume and book.
Saturday we were all supposed to go to the zoo in our town (a small zoo composed of mostly rescued animals). However, one of A & S’s cats got dreadfully ill, so they headed out first thing in the morning. They insisted we take the kids without them instead of waiting for another visit, so we invited my mom and dad to go with us. It was a blast. A great opportunity for the kids to learn about animals AND see how much rescuing can help animals.
So that’s pretty much what’s going on in my life right now. Hope everyone is doing well!